Sunday 9 October 2011

Level 5: The Day My Finances Forgot

After disappointingly missing a contextual trip to Manchester with the Games Design peeps (as well as other masters people though i don't know them) due to complete lack of funds i decided to concentrate my day masters work and research.

This first order of the day was collecting further research material for my upcoming literature and contextual reviews. Due to the contemporary nature of my areas of research I am confined to looking at other games and narrative media rather then traditional design, a fact which i'm not upset about it has to be said. I'm currently thinking of using LA Noire and Minecraft as my game examples as I believe they have plenty of related material and are 2 opposite ends of the Narrative/Ludology scale.

My second task was a continuation of a project I discussed with Josh on tuesday. In order to contrast the narrative pieces I have been looking over I decided it would be an interesting task to develop 4 game ideas that feature no underlying narrative. After much pondering I came to the conclusion that inevitably there will be some layer of intrinsic narrative to the designs as this can't be helped so my main goal is to create ideas with no extrinsic narrative. (so not a set narrative and back story etc)

Though the ideas are still very embryonic I'm currently thinking as follows; (some more in-depth then others)

Basic Tower Defense - A fairly stripped down (narratively speaking) tower defense game  featuring several rows of oncoming enigmatic enemies coming to attack your unidentified bastion.

Survival Game - Basic enemy killing game with your mystery hero fighting hordes of random unspecified creatures.

Puzzle Game: Still nothing solid though following the usual concept of narrative having little impact in puzzle games it seems logical to create one if possible.

Mystery Game 4: This one is still completely up in the air I have several extremely small ideas but nothing I have encapsulated as yet.

So there are my current development ideas as I said these may well change but they make sense to me at the moment so I shall pursue for the moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment