Sunday 16 October 2011

Level 6: Clarity

So that last going on 2 weeks have been a bit hazy as I pondered and pondered about these games with no narrative ideas, on top of the already cloudy subject of where I am aiming to go in terms of my masters development and research no less. However the last few days have ended up providing as the title of this post suggests clarity.

In terms of the game ideas I was inspired by my brothers suggestion of the fact old arcade games didn't feature any 'proper' narrative, which made me consider modern arcade games as well. To this end I have been working on my ideas while taking into consideration what makes modern arcade games (like those found on PSN and XBLA) fun and accessible. I think I now have a rough idea of 2 of my games from my original root ideas put through the ringer of this new perspective. The other 2 ideas however are still very embryonic I have some ideas of genre and small ideas but generally they still need a lot of development.

Then in terms of avenues to pursue for my masters, I have decided I would quite like to look into the idea of narratives which are built and molded by the gameplay and actions of the player. This will include games where the player alters the course of a limited narrative (eg Mass Effect), the player building their own story within an existent convention (eg UFC or Fight Night) and the player (and potentially friends) building their own story out provided parts (eg Civ 5 and MMO titles).

Overall I would interested in studying this area because I think that players tend to develop stronger emotional ties to game experiences if there is some sort of personal investment within it.

No comments:

Post a Comment